Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Hatari emulator help

Like most people, I've spent recent years emulating the Atari ST and since starting AtariCrypt I've been asked lots of questions. It's often about TOS versions and various settings within Hatari. So lets keep this simple for a real-basic outline of what you should know to get started playing Atari ST games on your Mac (PC should be the same)

There are two models of the Atari ST. The original Atari ST and the enhanced Atari STE (blitter, more colours, better sound and graphics hardware)

  - If you want to play games, the chances are it'll be for the original Atari ST model.
  - If you want to try something else (shareware, applications, music or demos) then you are probably better off emulating the enhanced computer.

Gaming requirements?

  - For the ST, I would recommend you choose 1mb Ram with TOS 1.02 
  - For the STe, I would recommend you chose 1mb Ram again but with TOS 1.62 

What to I download ?

  - download the emulator itself - Hatari.
  - download TOS - there are lots here to download from ATARIWorld.
  - there are lots of places to download ST games, try Old Games Finder.

For the most part, the above TOS versions and Ram settings will work well. I personally tend to stick with a basic setup of Atari STe with 1mb Ram and TOS 1.62.

I have captured several Hatari screenshots, below. Click the links and compare to your own, don't worry as there is nothing mind-blowing but you should obviously ignore my options for file paths and hard drives. I hope this information was of help to you guys and if there are anymore questions then feel free to leave a comment here :)

My Hatari settings !

  - Disk options ( link )
  - TOS 1.62 ( link )
  - ST low for games ( link )
  - Say no to frame skips! ( link )
  - Bleeps & Blops ( link )
  - So what's it gonna be? ( link )
  - Joystick #1 ( link )