Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Adventurer's Box Art

Not one, not two, not even three... Today, we have four awesome box covers from my very own collection to add to our ever growing "artistic" group. Please, try not to drool too much because I don't wish to ruin my games... :o)
  • First up, is Heimdall with its excellent cartoon-style visuals and a funny storyline depicting life as a Viking demi-god on his brave mission. Three silly games first need to be mastered before you can choose a decent crew of dodgy-looking characters and I dare you not to giggle during the drunken axe throwing contest! Sadly, I personally feel Core should have got more from out of a 1MB computer because it feels like a weak Ameoba port and could so easily have been much better. However, this doesn't distract from what is ultimately a humorous and crazy adventure through Norse mythology. 
  • Drakkhen is a Christmas present the wife kindly treated me too and my copy is in beautiful condition, ignoring some scuffs on the rear. A realtime role player which involves four chosen characters and much dragon slaying. Most certainly one of my prized possessions and an RPG which I strongly recommend.
  • Next up is Xenomorph which can often be overlooked as merely a Dungeon Master ripoff set in space. It's far more than that and offers a great real-time RPG set onboard Atargis, an abandoned space station. The dude on the cover always makes me think of Speedball but, ignoring that amazing fact, this is an engrossing adventure which I'm sure will appeal to all.
  • Finally, we have an illustrated text adventure with a creepy cover and one of the silliest of storylines. You are (wait for it) Ham Burger and Mr Cheez has given you a house in Salom's Lot which is rumoured to be haunted by lots of scary things that go bump in the night. I must admit to being a little disappointed with my copy because the condition isn't great, but this is a rare title which I am proud to own!
Whichever genre you prefer, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these excellent adventures. Each is different and each offer something fascinating and addictive to take an eager adventurer into the early hours. I am personally going to choose Drakkhen - before I get into trouble with the boss for wasting money! What about you?

LINKS

 - I'm a geek that loves to take pics of his Atari ST games and I've more in our Box Art group!
 - Floppy disk versions of all games can be found using Old Games Finder.
 - Hard drive installable games are obviously always the best and for that, I recommend Klaz for Drakkhen. It should come as no surprise that 8BitChip have awesome installations of Xenomorph and Heimdall.