Saturday, July 25, 2020

Mr. Do! Run Run




4-bitplane sex appeal

It's been a long time since I added something cool to our Pixel Art section so let's fix that with what I personally consider to be a visual feast. Also, a fantastic arcade conversion with utterly gorrrrrgeous gameplay. Yep, it's Mr Do! Run Run which was released in 1990 by Time Soldier dudes, Electrocoin. (actually, I quite liked that quirky shooter).

Yep, I love the graphics and the sweet pixels were created by Gary Felix who was responsible for Exolon and Future Sports. Now, ignoring the rather lame animated intro (sorry Gary), the title screen that follows demonstrates what to expect. And that means peculiar and freaky pixels - especially if you hate clowns? Meh, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

It's the in-game graphics that score the most points because they are authentic to the arcade original using a rich, bold style with cutesy sprites. Lovers of Mr Do and PacMan are instantly going to feel at home in this world of colour. In fact, it almost makes Rainbow Island look drab. Well, no it doesn't, but this game is every bit as glam.

What, you don't believe me? Okay, check out the title screen and a couple of in-game screenshots...



This is the campest title screen I've ever seen. It's absurd but very colourful.


The overhead display is superb for a clear view of the task ahead.


Check out those melon monsters! But look, I can see logs just waiting to be knocked.



Shockingly awesome conversion!

In this top-down runaround, we play the part of a clown who dashes around the screen collecting fruit whilst trying to avoid various nasties that are chasing and getting in our way. We're armed with one ball used to defend ourselves but this can be replaced by picking up several smaller balls off the floor. Heavy logs have been precariously propped and require only one well-timed nudge to see them roll down squashing anything in their path. Just don't get in the way!

This gameplay is fairly similar to PacMan but Mr Do is also writing a line as he moves (think Qix). Use this to draw a box and turn the pills into fruits: repeat the process to flip them into oranges, lemons and eventually pineapples for extra points. Yes, it is 'familiar' but the gameplay mechanics are excellent and provide a frantic adrenalin rush as you busily race around the screen. The level is completed once all the balls are collected or the baddies are dead.

Basically, this game looks and plays as old-school as it can get but, it works. In fact, it works brilliantly with zany gameplay that's as crafty to master as it is stunning to look at. Yes, I am shocked by how much I enjoyed this game but what shocks me even more is never playing it back in the day. What was I thinking? Where was I? How did I miss this game?

We're here for the pixels so I think it's time for some more sexy screenshots...



Oh, I love the design of each level and how colours are used to enhance that.


Lots to do and many monsters to kill. This game is an action fest and I love it!


Another level of pixel beauty which honours the arcade game perfectly.



Hang on, do we have more?

Now, although this is a Pixel Art feature, I feel I cannot continue without mentioning the music by Wally Beben. I'm often amazed at what the YM can produce but I feel he knocked the ball out of the park with truly outstanding arcade-style sounds. His chip music truly does suit the gameplay and sounds ace. Check it out and click on the green arrow below...




The CryptO'pinion?

Mr Do! Run Run is a challenging game with the first level being an absolute butt-kicker!!! Stick with it. The joy I felt when reaching the second level was an ecstatic moment indeed. My advice: ignore the Qix elements and concentrate on the controls and then how to kill the monsters. Once comfortable, learn how to farm fruits and collect the bonuses.

Personally, I think this is one of the most overlooked arcade conversions for the Atari ST. And it looks superb too!!


FLOPPY  |  HDD

No comments:

Post a Comment