Saturday, September 07, 2019

Atari 520 STFM Super Pack




I've had an idea

It's something that I've been thinking about for a while... Let me begin by saying my first Atari computer was the 520 STFM (shock) which came bundled with tons of games in the "Super Pack". I remember that Christmas well as my new computer was remarkable with its jaw-dropping speed, GEM desktop, many colours, and next-gen gameplay!!

Until that day, I'd only ever owned a ZX Spectrum so, booting up Xenon for the first time was a mind-blowing experience. Pure witchcraft!! Don't get me wrong, I loved my old Speccy but this was on another level!! So I figured it would be a fantastic idea to replay each of the bundled games and relive Christmas Day all over again.


The games

Arkanoid II Revenge of Doh, Beyond the Ice Palace, Black Lamp, Buggy Boy, Chopper X, Eddie Edwards Super Ski, Ikari Warriors, Marble Madness, Quadralien, Rana Rama, Return to Genesis, Road Wars, Seconds Out, Starquake, Summer Olympiad, Test Drive, Thrust, Thundercats, Wizball, Xenon, and Zynaps. Hey, there was even on Organiser ;)

Phew, 21 games!!! Most of these I haven't played since that first Christmas in 1988. So I'm very excited to see how well they have aged over the last three decades. Yes, I'm talking to you, Mr Eddie Edwards and your Super Ski skills!!


Are you excited? I know I am!

I'll begin my Super Pack journey alphabetically, starting with Imagine's breakout, Arkanoid: Revenge Of Doh. The last time I enjoyed a decent brick buster was Bolo a few years ago [a classic] so I hope this lives up to all my expectations.

Let our joyride through the Super Pack begin --> watch this space :)


Credits: My greetings to Róbert Tercsi and Marko Latvanen for their help.

7 comments:

  1. Good idea mate! Expect to relive some great moments of your videogame past. We had bundles here too but they often came along with books and utilities and even a schoolbag was provided. Everybody knew that you bought an st to study mainly 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I know it wasn't all games here (hence the curriculum pack for example) but there were a lot of game packs. I think this will be an adventure. I love Arkanoid 2 which I've just posted - but I'm STILL really bad at it lol

      Delete
  2. I think the idea is original. Don't think it has been done before for the st, in that event.I agree. Atari sold different packs through the years with different contents. Your journey has just begun 😁 Arkanoid is a relevant choice indeed though it's not the easiest game. I wasn't good at it as well, this game required speed, concentration and nerves of steel 😁 But the conversion of the arcade game was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    I hope you don't mind me asking?
    But would you consider selling your complete Super Pack if the price was right?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in a million years. Fwiw there are boxes that appear on eBay from time to time and I know Róbert Tercsi has made replicas too. Great package this one!

      Delete
    2. Haha no problem at all :)

      I've got it saved in my watch list.
      The near identical Summer Pack seems to be really rare as a complete package?

      I only let a recent complete Super Pack go because the ST it's self wasn't actually working.

      Delete
    3. that's a shame :/ Usually when STs break it's the PSU. I intend to replace mine with the one Exxos sells. Fwiw, I've never had the Summer Pack, when I upgraded to the STe it had no games with it. Just computer. Only my very first ST had a pack (this Super Pack). Happy days :)

      Delete

More random ATARI ST articles from the archives

Like what I do? Hey, do you wanna help support AtariCrypt??