Tuesday, July 02, 2024

Money For Nothing




Money for nothin', chicks for free

I was going through some older video recordings on my channel and found this one by the Glasgow Computer Centre. It's called the Picture And Sound Show and is a partial sample sound recording of the legendary song Money For Nothing, Dire Straits. Must admit, I'm curious how they came up with 'that name' rather than something better!

Your ST requires 1MB of RAM and a double-sided disk drive. Don't scoff, this was 1986 and my family couldn't afford an Atari ST for two years. Heck, I didn't know the joy of 1MB RAM until around 1991 when I got the SIMS for my STe. Additionally, they released a now obsolete half-meg version for those living in a cave, unwilling to upgrade! ;-)

Anyhow, the amazing fact that this "demo" was released in 1986 impresses me. I would easily have assumed 1988/89 if I didn't already know. Of course, this isn't the complete song, the ST would need multiple floppies and a bucket load of extra RAM. Look, for 1986, it is jaw-dropping, so leave it playing while you search your CD collection.

Hey, I've made many changes to AtariCrypt over recent days and worked hard (trying) to group things better. You shall see different groups featured on the right-hand side of the website. Take a look :) Do you want more demos/etc featured here on AtariCrypt? I hope so because the #demoscne is crammed with quality disks from many talented people.

I hope you enjoy my video recording of this timeless song? Let me know in the comments below...


Credits

Glasgow Computer Centre
John Ray - Code
Scott - Code

Glasgow Computer Centre - https://demozoo.org/groups/38699/
Download in POV #085 by Persistence Of Vision - https://demozoo.org/productions/73899/


2 comments:

  1. MarakattiJuly 03, 2024

    Wow, that's amazing! I wonder when first digitizers started to arrive for the ST. I think the first digidemo I ever saw on ST was Counterpoint demo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is kinda what bamboozled me! I would never have guessed 1986 for this, but here it is. Hey man, thanks for stopping by :D

      Delete

Like what I do?