Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Welcome to my adventure - day four




It's Time To Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum...

After the humiliation I suffered earlier, I decided to cover the constant dreaded battles in this crazy universe. Actually, dreaded is perhaps the wrong description because these fights are fantastic fun. Plus they are challenging with a good range of options. If you are interested in reading Days 1 - 3, they are still available to view here.

Conflicts happen frequently in Cosmos Chronicles with the entire process being a turn-based event. Damage is dealt with each hit and repeats until someone dies or scarpers. From what I've experienced, there are two styles of battle 1) Getting ambushed when on foot exploring a planet. You use whatever you're carrying, swords/guns/etc. 2) When travelling deep space and another pilot doesn't like the cut of your jib! You will use the ship's weaponry and defences.

It's never long before someone or something decides to attack! So let's take a closer look at each style of battle...


Fisticuffs


The conflicts on foot are the same as with the guards who killed our family. Not all creatures are aggressive and those can be quickly killed for food. The tougher beasts will challenge for a duel; displayed on a separate screen with their stats (in French) - ROB, FOR, RAP, DEX, BRA, and CHA. Thanks to Eric Damain (aka Shaoth of NANO CAVE!!) they translate to - Stamina, Strength, Speed, Dexterity, Bravery, and Charisma.

It is interesting having access to their statistics for good referrence. However, at this early stage, we're jumping ahead of ourselves so let's not panic just yet. Our combat choices are of more importance:

  1. Wait   - Just that. Miss a turn...
  2. Fight  - Use your turn to attack the enemy.
  3. Arms   - Choose a weapon before attempting to "fight".
  4. Shield - Only usable it you have one.
  5. Care   - Look after yourself as there are no medics in space!!
  6. Scare  - BOO!! Well, it miiiiight work!
  7. Seduce - Reserved for the most deluded of gamers.
  8. Escape - Run away. This won't work against Xenomorphs!
 
"Severed Dreams"


Space battles are great and begin with two options 1) negotiate or 2) attack. The first is perhaps a poor translation and might be better taken as "communicate"? Of course, this often gets an aggressive reaction from the pilot. However, he might buckle under the pressure and freely hand over his cargo?

During a fight, you can attack (depending on how your ship is equipped) plus these additional options:

  1. Jammer - Confuses the enemy's equipment and get a couple of extra shots in!
  2. Escape - Can your ship outrun the enemy's vessel?
  3. Jump   - A much-needed way to escape but who knows where you may end up?


Conclusion

Battles are a big part of Cosmos Chronicles and fun to participate in. In space - negotiate before attacking, you may reap the rewards by avoiding conflict. On foot - you should be a Boy Scout. By that, I mean be prepared and have your essential items with you. Regardless, during any battle, it's invariably a good idea to consider the alternative choices - why attack when you can run away or suffer a hyperspace jump into the unknown? Think first, dear adventurer.

There are always options and I love that aspect of this game. Well, that's it for the fourth instalment and I hope to see you soon for "Day Five". In the meantime heed my words - it's dangerous out there so save your game regularly!!

Finally, here are screenshots of me battling some of the nasties lurking in our universe...



Not everything will challenge you to a duel. The other critters can easily be killed for food.



Armed with my new Blaster360, I shoot a giant spider. It doesn't stand a chance!



Unfortunately, he later brought his friends and whooped my ass (as the Americans say)



Two zombies were lurking inside a cave. They're slow, so I might run away (escape option)



This is how a battle in space begins. Dare you to talk or attack first? (see next pic)



(he wanted to fight) I used the Jammer and then attacked with my spanky plasma weapon!



Sigh, I was floating through space enjoying life, but then the police came knocking.
I've no idea what I did wrong... That doesn't stop me from defending myself!!



Rather than tackling hardened criminals, (motorists) these two officers attacked me.
Two on one... Groan, I'm taking some damage in this shot.



Another guy in a rocket threatened me. I was winning before he scarpered into hyperspace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some more random ATARI ST articles

Like what I do? Hey, do you wanna help support AtariCrypt??