Tuesday, April 05, 2016

uIP-tool

As you may have read in my previous article, I purchased the NetUSBee. This killer slab of hardware is in desperate need of something that makes use of its ethernet port. Thankfully, Mariusz Buras has developed a program to do just that, uIP-Tool. This is a utility that transforms your Atari ST into a web server without any messy configuration.

Simply load up uIP and it will automatically assign an IP address from your router. Now all you need to do is load up a web browser on your Mac/PC and type in that given IP to begin transferring files to/from your Atari ST. Note, this is still in beta and Google Chrome is the advised. Downloaded the incredible uIP-tool right now!

If your router is in a different room (over WiFi) then you might be thinking uIP-tool isn't compatible for your setup? Not so, my router is also wireless, and located downstairs, so I bought myself a very short ethernet cable that physically connects together both my Apple Mac and Atari STe.

To provide uIP-Tool with a working IP address I enabled the Mac's Internet Sharing - I expect similar functions exists on those other insignificant computers ... Winblows and Flummox! :)

 1) load up System Preference (via the Apple menu)
 2) click on Internet Sharing (view me)
 3) choose WiFi in the dropdown menu & tick the ethernet box (view me)
 4) lastly, tick the box left of "Internet Sharing" to activate this service.
 5) now quit System Preferences.
 6) load up uIP-Tool on the Atari ST and note the IP it displays for you.
 7) enter this IP into your web browser to remotely access your Atari ST. Job done!