Sunday, March 20, 2022

Persistence Of Vision


Menu Disk #099

POV was one of the best demo-packer groups for the Atari ST. They made 165 compilation disks, most programmed by Mac Sys Data, with fellow members including Ozymandias, Boris, Gonzo, Aly, and Dr Syne. Numerous disks featured music by Tao, Lotus, An Cool, David Whittaker, Ben Daglish, and many more.

I admire POV because they brought multiple demos, intros, and more to users like me who couldn't afford to buy, or freely source, everything flooding the ST world back in the 80s and 90s. Plus their compilations were professionally produced and crammed with loads of goodies I would probably never have got to see otherwise.

I've chosen to record their 99th menu because it's a great screen and also marked the end of an era, but not the end of the group, who continued on for years. Along with their copier, the disk features four demos: Life's A Bitch by TLB, The New Year Demo by X-Troll, Stuffy's Demo, and TSB/Adrenaline Intro by Kids Ghost Brothers.

Okay, it's not the greatest measure of what made the POV menus so appealing - there are far better - but I am sure that the infamous sampled soundtrack from Life's A Bitch more than makes up for the rest. So funny!!

Credits for Menu #099
Boris - Code & Graphics
Ozymandias - Graphics
Count Zero - Music
 
Links and a bundle of other POV Menu screenshots
Persistence Of Vision are on YouTube!
Exxos has a great POV section on his website.
Demozoo has a section dedicated to POV.
If you think this is all, boy, you're so wrong! [AtariCrypt]

 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Most of the menu discs are little pieces of programming wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree matey. Did you ever see this one? Amazing screen... https://ataricrypt.blogspot.com/2017/06/ripped-off-87.html

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I have about 5 POV menus all ready to sort and release but all my Atari computers are not set up so I can't test stuff (I don't trust emulators to be 100%). I will try and get at least one release this year, keep an eye on my YouTube channel as I release a video every week. MSD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than happy to help... ST is ready and willing :)

      Delete
  3. Exists some text or articles Of how the menu disks are made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you'll be best visiting AtariLegend for more information. thx

      Delete