Monday, May 11, 2015

Blood Money

This is one of my all-time favourite Atari ST games but I cannot help wonder why I have not waffled on (I mean blogged) about this earlier! Released by Psygnosis all the way back in 1989 and it features some of the best graphics you will see in any scrolling shoot'em up. However, I often find this game gets some awkward and mixed reactions which are so alien to me. Okay, ignoring the often unpleasant opinions ST people have of Menace (read my review) Psygnosis then went on to release Blood Money. Like the first, it promised so much but had they got it right this time?

Well, Blood Money displays some of the most beautiful background graphics, sprites and also plays lovely audio to boot. This time, we didn't get a shamefully rushed version but rather a polished and classy looking game. We need no custom chips! Sure, there is a little slow down during some of the crazy busy scenes when there are lots going on visually but it's nothing that distracts from the game-play at all. Interestingly. if you press F9 on the main menu you can put Blood Money into 60Hz mode. That often means a faster and better framerate. Effective on a real Atari ST... but I didn't notice any difference in emulation.

So, what do we actually have here? Everyone remembers Blood Money so I'm hardly going to divulge anything new, except for my own opinion of this great game. This is certainly up there with the best and is most definitely one great shoot 'em up on the Atari ST. Its fun and it's very challenging so what more could you want? An absolute GEM!

LINKS

 - Atari Mania - http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-blood-money_8749.html
 - Adapted version for HDD - http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/bloodm.html