Tuesday, August 15, 2023

17BIT




Disk Magazine #6

The ST is fast approaching its 40th birthday yet this old computer still manages to surprise me with something new. Recently, I rescued a floppy disk by Seventeen Bit Software called "Disk Magazine". It's labelled Membership 5000 which seems a little dubious being such a high number. Although I do wonder if that was the original owner's ID?

It appears 17BIT supported the ST for only about a year until late '89. They supplied commercial games for both the ST/Amiga platforms at a discount along with tons of public domain software too. Membership was required (free!) and that got you a regular disk magazine of which I found number #6. (cheers to Atarimania's Marko for all his help)

The disk boots to the GEM desktop with a hilarious wallpaper - are these the guys behind 17BIT? The contents are varied from utilities to a couple of Spectrum 512 images and also a megademo by XXX International. But the main reason was to advertise everything in their PD catalogue using a program by Andy Styles to browse through their stock.

I'm eager to find disks 1-5 along with anything else they produced. Sadly, I suspect the worst but I have hope that their other disks aren't lost in the void! If you know more or happen to have their disks laying about then get in touch. For now, at least no. 6 is safe because I've made a copy that you can download for either your Atari ST or emulator.

Wait! Before you go, check out these exciting photos and screenshots...



"That Bit Better Than The Rest", I really like their slogan!


This is where all the magic happens. Well...


QMOUSE is cool and I wonder how SPEEDDISK might perform?


One of the readme files. Gripped with excitement now, aren't ya?


XXX International Demo by XXX International (must have taken ages to choose the demo's title)

One of the Spectrum 512 images.


Their program allows you to slowly browse through everything they had in stock.

2 comments:

  1. I've got the same coffee cup as you, every day i see it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be able to attach a photo, i got a few atari cups

    ReplyDelete