Saturday, August 26, 2023

The beST Game Ever?




There can be only one

You know, I hate silly questions like, "What's your favourite game". That is an impossible question to answer because it doesn't take into consideration the genre or even my mood at that moment. Plus my answer changes daily! However, people still ask me now and then which is understandable but also quite infuriating too. Or am I in a grumpy mood?!!

Possibly, but today I'm actually wondering just what might be my favourite Atari ST game! We have a ginormous library so how can I answer? Well, here goes: I'm ignoring ratings. I'm ignoring genre. I'm ignoring my mood. I'm ignoring everything to make this the most pointless article ever. Wait, it's too easy to pick Dungeon Master, right?

That's the one I cannot choose because it's the game everyone automatically plumps for. Rightly so, but...


Argh, too many!

Anyhow, what about Defender of the Crown? What about Stardust? What about Rogue? Then there is Prince Of Persia, Gauntlet II, Joust, Magic Boy, Borodino, Zero-5, Stunt Car Racer, Speedball, Populous, Golden Axe, Time Bandit, The Secret Of Monkey Island, Death Chase, Rick Dangerous, Hostages, Kult, Resolution 101, Stormlord, Midwinter, Hunter, Legends Of Valour, Carrier Command, Mr Do! Run Run, Captain Blood, North & South, Starglider, Oids, Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, Turrican, and Out Run. The list goes on and on and on... (I was joking about Out Run!)

So, with my back against the wall and a loaded gun held against my empty head, the dreaded question is asked. I'm starting to sweat. What game might come out trumps? Well, after great thought (honest) I've made my decision - knowing full well this is a pointless venture that makes no sense. Nobody will read this rubbish so I'm perfectly safe from ridicule.

Okay, I've picked the best Atari ST game. Do you wanna know what it is? Really, are you that bored? Right, scroll on...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Ohhh the suspense...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The CryptO'pinion?

I've picked Domark's Shadowlands as the best Atari ST game because not only was this ahead of its time but it was created, designed and produced to near-perfection. It offers the player a fascinating, atmospheric and captivating world to enjoy exploring. What, you completely disagree with me? Well, there's a shocker!! Am I really that wrong?

I don't care :p but why not click the above link to read my old review? Hang on, is it okay if I change my mind? lol

Yes, this was silly but, if you had a gun held to your head and I forced you to make the stupid decision - what Atari ST game would you choose? It can be anything except Dungeon Master so let me know in the comments below. STay Atari.

Downloads for: Floppy Disks | Hard Drive


The title screen is superb and nicely animated too, which this screenshot fails to show!


The opening level outside is quite lame but don't enter the dungeon without looking around first...


Once inside, the game perfectly introduces you to the lighting, puzzles, and monsters.


The first baddie is this fella but, don't worry because he's really easy to kill.


Another baddie and some pick-ups too. Hang on, is that a key I see?


Replaying this game again, from scratch, is proving to be fantastic. What an ace RPG it is!!


Make sure you read the manual. There are more than enough helpful hints to get you started.

12 comments:

  1. I remember this, from the magazines, they said it was perfect shadows and light illustration. I seem to remember that this game came out with a sort of twin, a similar game, Hero Quest perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might mean Shadoworlds mate. Thx for stopping by and ....... :o .......... commenting! lol

      Delete
    2. Yes I meant Shadoworlds, the sci fi adventure https://www.mobygames.com/game/11927/shadoworlds/screenshots/

      So please remove my last comment

      Delete
    3. Yeeeees yor'e right, dont laugh ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. TBH not one I've played as I'm not a soccer fan. One of the (ever increasing) bucket list though...!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the shameless Mario clone; The Great Giana Sisters! Ive finished this one more times than i have penises. Quite a lot in other words. Also Vroom must be there along with Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
    and Formula One Grand Prix! (Even better racers than Outrun, buddy :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when is Best of 2024 coming? Id like to see for instance best of -88 or near there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrath Of the Demon and Starflider 2 ! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WotD is so good but could have been even better with a little effort. Starglider 2 is ace. But better than the first?
      At least you didn't say Dungeon Master :D ;)

      Delete