Sunday, October 18, 2015

Jet Set Willy



Willy is back!

Who still plays the Willy platformers on their retro computer? Indeed, they are the most respected series of 8-bit platformers ever to grace a CRT screen. Sadly, the Atari ST missed that party as people expected more from their 16-bit computer by the late-80s. A fact that saddens me somewhat if I'm brutally honest as we missed out on a classic.

Yep, Software Projects never released the game because they felt people's expectations had changed since 1984? I see their point, I really do. However, it's a massive shame because the game is timeless. I will always love this platformer.

Actually, the Atari ST game was completed but simply not released. Until now! The screenshots you can see are of the Atari ST game, a perfect replica of the original. Yep, it fully mimics the same gameplay style without unnecessary bloatware "improvements". This means it plays, looks, sounds and "feels" just as you remember playing in 1984.

Matthew Smith had nothing to do with this release as it was coded for the Atari ST by Carl Whitwell and Paul Taylor. Best of all, this was during their university years. Wow, take 5 mins to think about that fact for a moment... Can you imagine programming this game possibly as their coursework? Perhaps it was just a side project to keep them busy.

Wait, are you disappointed how the Atari ST game looks? Perhaps you expected better 16-bit aesthetics with more detail & colour?? Stop, slap yourself right now!! Did you forget about our version of Chuckie Egg II...

Okay, I should help Master Willy clean up his messy mansion. Maria is quite angry so wish me luck...

* Download JetSet Willy from my own Dropbox file server.
AtariMania has an interesting piece of text to read on its website.
* Here is a pretty darn cool map of the entire Willy Mansion. Ahh, the memories!!
* What? Do you want Manic Miner as well? Then click that link ASAP!!!



I thought this room would be tough but it's easier than it looks.


One of the coolest screens this (for me). I don't know why but I love it.


I remember reaching this screen on my Speccy as a kid - waiting for the hoax!


I tried the code... but it didn't appear to work. I wonder if the hidden gem is still here?

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah and I'm so glad this wasn't another Chuckie Egg 2... ie, they ruin it with different mechanics or fancy graphics. It's probably another Battlezone using the Speccy code. And that works for me :D

      Delete

Even More ATARI ST Articles

Like what I do? Wanna support AtariCrypt??