Sunday, November 08, 2015

Ballerburg


Whilst enjoying my cuppa joe this morning (in my cool Atari ST mug) I stumbled upon a tweet about Ballerburg, an old turn-based artillery game by Eckhard Kruse. What a fabulous strategy game that is all about enemies blasting each other to smithereens! What's not to love?

Two enemy castles, with a mountain in-between, with the objective to destroy each other. So calculate your cannons angled power and then blast them to bits - tremendous FUN!! However, Ballerburg requires two additional demands over your typical game: the ability to read German and also a monochrome hi-res monitor. But let's be honest, as ST users we are familiar with lots of German anyhow and we can easily get around the need for a monochrome monitor by using a program to allow the high resolution to on a colour display.

Right now, my Mega STe is running Ballerburg and I'm (trying) to teach our 6-year old daughter the basic mechanics to fire a successful shot. However, it ain't going too well so I'm going to destroy her. Muwhahaha!!

LINKS

 - A download is available via Eckhard Kruse's website and also Ballerburg has a wiki page!
 - I use MonoPack to enable ST High Res on my colour monitor.
 - There is also a Mac version of Ballerburg.
 - So, you didn't believe me about my Atari ST mug, uh?
 - Eckhard also created one of my favourite demos and here is my video recording.