Sunday, July 09, 2023

Leviathan



Fly, dodge, shoot, die!

Leviathan is a Zaxxon-inspired (cough.. ripoff) isometric shooter released in 1987 by English Software. Interestingly, this is one of the oldest Atari ST games that I own even if it narks me. What, I hear you cry? Yep, every time I attempt to play it, I get nowhere. Either I'm crashing into the landscape or some canny alien smashes into me kamikaze style!

The box is one of those squishy DM types that never lasts very long but, I must admit, mine is in quite good condition considering. The back cover has an incredible line, "A space shoot 'em up to end all space shoot 'em ups!". That's a bold statement if ever there was one and it kinda makes you wonder if it's true? Hmm, anyhow if you wanna see some professionally-capture photographs of my boxed game, then continue to scroll past this amazing review.

Okay, so the storyline is pretty thin on the ground but it takes place over three different planetary zones in the darkness of space. Now, I'll only ever get the see the first one (of course) but they are: Moonscape, Cityscape and Greekscape. As you might have guessed, each level is stuffed with aliens that need blasting into smithereens.

Well, by now you'll wanna see a couple of screenshots from this Zaxxon wannabe? Of course, you do...



Okay, shall I try and shoot those boxy aliens? Or race off in the hope that I might flee to safety?


I must admit, the landscapes are quite desolate but still superb in both look and design.


Let's play

Yes, Leviathan blatantly rips off the Zaxxon idea without any shame but, it does feature a few differences and additional "improvements". From what (ahem) little I've seen, we pilot a plane armed to the teeth with a rapid-firing laser gun. There are also a few smart bombs that should only be used as a last resort when things get (even more) tough.

Skimming across the diagonally-scrolling landscape isn't easy. Aliens appear in waves with an uncanny knack for getting underfoot and I found this aspect very difficult, as you might have guessed. Quick reactions are required to beat the alien formations but there is often little room to manoeuvre thanks to the terrain which isn't flat or dormant. So that presents its own challenge because I am either being beaten by the alien hoard or smashing into a chimney!

The joystick controls are fairly similar to Zaxxon - altitude can be changed by pushing up/down. Minimum speed can be increased if you hold down fire and push up/down. Strafing the ship left/right isn't possible and instead, the ship will turn itself in that given direction. I didn't like this at all because it takes time and leaves you feeling defenceless.

The status bar is feature-rich detailing score, remaining fuel, smart bombs, the next wave of incoming aliens, and (groan) a timer. Also, there are two arrows displaying the alien's location - this means we can head backwards and aren't restricted to flying forwards. However, for me, that presents a fistful of new problems trying to safely fly backwards!

If you're copying someone's idea then don't attempt to be clever trying to improve it. As shown here...



Argh, massive floating eyes in space but it's too tough trying to shoot when moving sideways!!


The unnecessary fuel top-ups clutter up the game further. Well, if you survive long enough!


Aesthetics

From the amazing title screen to the smooth scrolling, Leviathan always looks fantastic. Each level uses a cosmic environment design that I really liked. Of course, I have no chance of seeing the later levels but I loved the rocky, industrial landscapes that I did manage to play. The aliens are often bright and colourful so stand out from the cold, stark backdrops.

The audio fairs well and begins with a sampled tune that isn't (hmm) too bad I guess. Then again, a 16-year-old me in 1987 would have been chuffed at its ambition and quality. Today, however, I'm not a big fan and much prefer chip tunes, especially as this is by Mr Whittaker. Thankfully, the sound effects are crisp and zesty so suits the gameplay dandy.

Let's see a couple more screenshots before reading the gripping conclusion of this pointless ripoff...



Ugh, why did the ship need to turn like that? Totally unnecessary. Hate it!


Is anyone a fan of ZZ Top? Got a Rough Boy feel about this? Fans will see it.
 

The CryptO'pinion?

Leviathan should have been an addictive shooter full of thrills and excitement but it's not. The graphics are superb and I liked the concept of simply clearing each level of its aliens. Sadly, it's the overly complicated joystick controls make the game that much more difficult. Whoever decided that the ship should physically turn instead of strafing should be shot!

I'm genuinely gutted to find an Atari ST game that I dislike almost as much as the hate I feel for Carlos or Chuckie Egg II. However, I'm always open to opinions and fear that it might just be me that sucks because Leviathan might actually be fantastic. Could this possibly be true? Hmm, let me know what you guys think in the comments below...

Before viewing the glorious box art, here are the downloads: floppy disk and hard drive.



I have the American version which is in better condition than my photography skills show.


Guess how many planetary zones I got to see... Go on, guess!


36 years later and the disk still works... I must remember that when selling on eBay!


I wonder how many filled this in? I should give it a bash and see if they're still alive lol


It's small but it's a great manual. Hang on, Commodore 64! Whaaaaat?

No comments:

Post a Comment