Thursday, July 20, 2023

The best of Dave Munsie VOLUME 1 :)



A lucky find!

I'm always on the scrounge for Atari ST goodies, especially floppies - who knows what gold is still out there waiting to be rediscovered? I see many tempting auctions of Atari ST disks but most are silly prices! Or the disks have degraded due to poor storage - I went through a box recently and only two floppies still worked. That wasn't a good week!

Well, sometimes you get lucky and, this week, I feel I've hit the jackpot. Within a slim envelope were 7 disks and one was by PD Library, Goodmans. I loved that company and remember buying tons from them over the years. However, there was a disk in their collection that I had previously never heard of - "Dave Munsie Game Collection Volume 1". Thankfully, the disk still worked 100% so I quickly made an image of it, because I noticed a carbon copy didn't appear to exist.

On it are a staggering nine Munsie games: Bugs, Kid GP, Evader, Kaboom!, Frogger!, ST Invaders, Dark Pearl, Kid Kong, and Bobble! Now that's some hefty gameplay just waiting for you to boot up. So let's check 'em out...

  1. Bugs - Think Centipede/Millipede and you get the idea for this cracker!
  2. Kid GP - Rainbow Islands meets Bubble Bobble for kiddies. Well, I know I loved it :)
  3. Evader - this is kinda like a weird mash of Galaxians, Phoenix and Space Invaders. Great fun.
  4. Kaboom! - I remember playing this on a mate's 2600 as a kid. Infuriatingly frantic action!
  5. Frogger! - It's good, but possibly the weakest of the bunch, especially compared to Black's version.
  6. Invaders - Once again, Dave messes with the original to produce something new and exciting.
  7. Dark Pearl - I've never liked these games if I'm honest. However, this is well-programmed, I'll say that.
  8. Kid Kong - Another game I'm not too keen on but it's fun - for the Kong fans!
  9. Bobble - It's Tetris, kinda interesting for those who enjoy that. I guess?

Okay, this long-lost floppy disk is now safely stored within the archives of Atarimania so go and grab yourself a copy. It's impressive just how many great games are on this disk plus they're all by Mr Munsie (sounds creepy doesn't it). He certainly knew his stuff and this floppy disk proves just how much fun he must have had making games.

There are more Munsie games for the Atari ST that you should play with several already on AtariCrypt - Asteroidia, Frantick, and Berzerk. Righto, before rushing off to download this disk here are photos and screenshots to gawk over...



This is the disk! The photo makes the disk look nicer than it is - thanks to Instagram for that lol.


Did the world ever get to see Volume II?


I wasn't too impressed with this Centipede clone at first but it's excellent!


Plain, blocky but with tons of colour and cute sprites. It's still a ripoff but a great one at that!


Framerate could be better but this is a superb shoot 'em up of mixed genres.


Oh yeah!! This takes me back to playing the old Atari 2600 game. Simple yet fantastic fun!


2016 saw the definitive Frogger but this older version from 1993 is a great release!


Another game of Dave's that I wasn't umm totally sure about but is yet another exciting blaster!


Ugh, it's not you, it's me (that line, eh). You guys might like it but it's not a game I personally enjoy.


Donkey Kong fans are gonna love this one but is it better than Crash Time Plumber? :o


One for fans of the Tetris genre. Not for me, I'm sorry to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment