Saturday, July 29, 2023

Torvak the Warrior



Rastan the barbarian?

Sometimes it's tough finding time to write about ST games (boohoo, right). Don't get me wrong, I love it and can waffle on like a madman but, time isn't free, especially at the speed I type. So I figured I would create another section of my website called "Just Play" for shorter articles that won't take several weeks to write. Check it out on the right over there... ⤵

So, Torvak? Why do I love this flawed action game so much? Well, I know it isn't perfect but, it is something I boot up regularly simply because I find it so enjoyable. It's a scrolling platformer where I'm transformed into Hercules with giant weapons (ooer) and is something I've kept returning to over the decades - whenever I'm brassed off and feel the need to hit something hard. Now, whilst the wife breathes herself a massive sigh of relief, I will admit that it's not perfect.

The basic concept is incredibly familiar but it whiffs of a rushed port with a small screen, sluggish controls, and suspect collision detection. Additionally, attempting to kill something that demands multiple hits and you soon realise that this is definitely no Golden Axe. Having said that, it looks great, sounds great, and plays well. So, no matter how old I get, I'm always happy to boot it up, especially with a trainer enabled to compensate for the above (and my skills).

Torvak The Warrior was released by Core Design and programmed by Andy Green who developed a couple of stinkers but redeemed himself with Masters of the Universe, a game I think is unexpectingly excellent. The rastan visuals are by non-other than Lee Pullen of Chuck Rock fame and Matt Furniss produced the gorgeous chiptune bleeps that are nothing less than exceptional.

Okay, I bet you're dying to play this beastmaster wannabe? I hope so because it's a lot better than most people say! Just remember to hold down the fire button to use spells and make sure you collect the Broadsword located near the beginning. Like I said, it's far from perfect but I'd love to know if there are other fans of this platformer out there.

Downloads are available for your hard drive and floppy disk. Righto, I'm ending with some nifty screenshots...



I love the first stage because it's not too difficult and probably the level I play the most!


The second stage is a lot harder and you'll find yourself being attacked from both sides.


The third stage is actually a lot better than my gaming skills might suggest!


Lots of jumps in the fourth stage and it's very hard with many hidden dangers.


The fifth level always felt a bit Castlevania'ish to me. It's good but too samey...


And this is the screen I see the most, so use your noodle and activate the cheats!

No comments:

Post a Comment