Wednesday, September 04, 2024

Carrus




Not really a car

Carrus was developed in 1992 by Thilo Jantz and is something I stumbled on while browsing through Atarimania. I love platformers but this one looked rather peculiar with its black & white screenshots. They show a car attempting to drive unrealistic roads so I was intrigued because I like anything "odd" like me!

The objective is to collect the white signs on each level using a car that moves left/right without acceleration. Very odd for a car, right? Imagine that the sprite isn't a car but a person like Miner Willy or Henhouse Harry. So this "car" travels one step at a time rather than driving. There isn't a need to jump in at the deep end as there are four difficulty levels - beginners, normal, advanced, and Expert. It's best to choose beginner because the levels are simple and you are introduced to various game components one step at a time.

Collecting the white signs sounds easy but the strategy comes by knowing and mastering the level's design. For example, some roads are inaccessible without a bridge, van, or elevator to assist. Other roads dissolve after one use but there are other dangers like mines, bouncing barrels, hidden traps, and robots. Importantly, the order of collecting the white signs matters as you could end up trapped (first experienced on level B-3).

Extra features are the ability to alter the speed by pressing keys 1-9 (fast/slow). Also, if you get stuck, the Z key is used for suicide but you will lose a life. If you need a wee, pause using the P key until you return!! Also, I found the controls much more responsive using a real computer rather than an emulator (YMMV).

I won't pretend this is the greatest game because it isn't. Nevertheless, it is nice to play something unexpectedly different and Carrus fits the bill nicely. I liked the idea but later screens present too much of a massive challenge for me. I only wish there was an option to restart particular levels using a passcode.

I enjoyed this a bunch so my rating would be a wholesome 70%.

A download can be found in the Hang Loose section of the Atari FTP Archive.



Beginner levels like this are perfect for grasping the controls.



The stars are explosive mines. The jaggy road will dissolve after one use.



The third level introduces lifts and also a hidden trap (very cruel).



The fourth level is tough! The roads are impossible to reach without using lifts.



I've moved on to the "normal" difficulty here. As you can see, it's a lot harder!



The third level on "Normal". It's a killer so think before you move! Don't get squashed...


I don't mind admitting that "Advanced" is way too tough for me o_O


And you can forget about the "Expert" level. Yowzers!!



The ending screen says: The last driver was also hit (ie game over)



Not brilliant but, not a bad first attempt... Can you beat me?

2 comments:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAd7iZnB1dU gameplay video. Frustrating game, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mate. I found it harder to control on the emulator, real ST was oddly far better! Not checked that link but if it’s another of Jim’s the he’s the first to admit he never records for gameplay reasons ;)

      Delete

Some more random ATARI ST articles

Like what I do? Hey, do you wanna help support AtariCrypt??