Monday, December 07, 2015

Pegasus

Satan has been a bad boy again and has turned the world on its head, so it's your job to reverse his dastardly deeds before it's too late. You are Percius and fly the globe on a mythical horse called (wait for it) Pegasus. Gameplay starts you off with a typical horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up and then it changes into a platformer - it flips between these two gaming modes throughout. I feel this helps to stop it from becoming repetitive and it's almost like buying two games for the price of one!

I am enjoying the shump parts for their gameplay is exciting and challenging. Yes, the graphics could be a little "more" but it all moves along well and I've no time to sit there looking at the scenery when there is a screen full of bad guys to kill. Imagine something like R-Type on horseback and you've got the general idea! Collecting crystals left behind from a kill will thankfully enhance your weaponry and there are some awesome power-ups to use. Plus you control Pegasus, a flying horse, freaky cool! I think the Percius levels are probably my favourite parts but I've always loved platform games so perhaps I'm biased? Once again it scrolls along beautifully but you obviously control the pace during this genre and although there's nothing unique I definitely enjoyed myself and it is rewarding. Take your time, collect the crystals again for an increase in your health and ultimately a forward-firing ability. Kill baddies, use keys, collect items and exit.

If I had to be picky, then I would mention the lacking in-game music. It's not an issue during the hectic shoot 'em up stages but it's rather apparent during the Percius parts and that's a shame because a nifty piece of chiptune magic would have worked perfectly. Also, reaching for the spacebar to enhance your weapon is a little awkward... Overall, it's not perfect but we certainly have an extremely enjoyable shoot 'em up AND platformer. I enjoyed it.

LINKS

 - I recorded a video which comes with an unusual graphical anomaly thrown in for free!
 - Download Pegasus from the mighty D-Bug, with hard drive support.
 - You need to cheat? Then press P on the title screen and type in this code: FRUITBAT
          -> use the arrow keys to select your starting level.
          -> F1 for extra lives.
          -> F2 to select a power-up.
          -> F3 for an extra special weapon shot.
          -> F5 advance a level.
          -> F7 for a nifty shield.
 - To view the greetings, enter this code as a 'password' on the title screen: CATFOOD.