Saturday, February 20, 2016

escape from alcatraz

Today I have received a factory sealed treat off eBay, Alcatraz by Infogrames. I thought about leaving it as is, but within milliseconds I had ripped it open. It's as close to mint condition as I could hope but I've spent very little time admiring the box instead of playing the game!

The head honcho of a nasty drug cartel has taken shelter in Alcatraz prison and he also happens to be surrounded by many loyal henchmen. Yep, you've probably already guessed that it's your job to sneak in, kill the bad guys, destroy everything illegal and escape in the nick of time.

This isn't a gung-ho game, Alcatraz is played using stealth and careful covert tactics. The starting level first appears in the style of an arcade beat 'em up but is actually the complete opposite. Tread lightly and firing your weapon isn't always the answer, use the darkness to your advantage by nipping into the background scenery, avoiding any unwelcome attention. However, this won't always be the answer and you'll need gunplay, but remember to silently throw a knife instead of using your BAM BAM noisy weapons! Once you are deeper inside Alcatraz, it will change into a first-person shooter very similar in presentation to a Dungeon Master clone - but with a machine gun. There is a handy map function which I really liked because it helps to detail the locations of enemies, rooms, and exit.

Initially, the controls feel a little fluffy but stick with it and you will soon overcome its quirks. For those of you with friends, two players can enjoy Alcatraz simultaneously which should help overcome the low number of given lives, which I personally think is a little too restricting for such a demanding mission. Perseverance and stealth are definitely the name of the game and only now I am starting to make progress because I've stopped acting like Rambo and more like a secret agent. I'm loving Alcatraz and going back in for more - I hope you have enjoyed this preview?

LINKS

 - Here is my humble video recording (taken from emulation).
 - Alcatraz can now be installed onto hard drive thanks to the mighty D-Bug.
 - For those wanting a floppy disk image, check out Old Games Finder!