Tuesday, August 21, 2018

PONG


I love finding something "new" and only yesterday I saw a version of Pong on the amazing Atari Legend but one I had not played. It's by Construct Developments but I couldn't source a download from anywhere until ST Graveyard, aka Maarten Martens, kindly sent me the disk image. (Download also added into AtariMania for safekeeping!)

Pong works only on the Atari STe thanks to the stereo tracker music, but the gameplay isn't exactly what I assumed. Forget your friends and family because this is a one-player conversion which uses your joystick to control both paddles at the same time. So, as you guide the left paddle, the right will automatically move in the opposite direction for a brain-busting experience! It's quite tough to fully master - but Pongtastic and bucketloads of addictive fun!!

Sadly, it appears Pong wasn't finished so there are a few minor niggles. The only thing that bugged me was how the ball becomes difficult to follow when it passes over an area of similar colour - thanks to that cool background. Nothing is perfect and finding new Atari ST games is always good, and this game certainly offers a neat twist on the format.

No comments:

Post a Comment