Sunday, July 14, 2019

Dusty Old Disks!



Arghh floppies everywhere!

I figured it was time to start doing a little housework. No, not the dusting and hoovering kind because that's a women's job. (Ouch!!! The wife just hit me!). Anyhow, I've got hundreds of coverdisks scattered about the house but I can never find the one I need - without hunting through a mess of disks. BooHoo, right?

I'm amazed how many coverdisks were released by magazines like ST Format, ST Review and ST User. But there are also many others: The One, ST/Amiga Format, Computer Express, ST Action, Zero, etc/etc.

Unsurprisingly, most of my disks are by ST Format with ST User and ST Review following for a close second and third respectively. I've been playtesting most disks and I'm shocked to discover that almost everything works. I have a few bad sectors on a few ST Format disks but otherwise, I'm partying like it's 1990.

As you can imagine, this was quite the trip down memory lane. I've found many games and programs like Recover, Quick ST, Harlekin, K-Graph, That's Write, Cyber Paint, Ani ST, GEMview, Easy Draw, Spectrum 512, loads of CPX modules, etc... In fact, the abundant amount of utilities is most appealing!

A cynic might say, all of which I could have easily found on the internet!! But where's the fun in that? So come on, what does your cover disk collection look like? Do they work? Let me know in the comments below...










Grr, I found another 12 disks after taking this photo!! (10xSTF / 2xSTR)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Same here. I had boxes of disks from magazines and also the more risky kind too. Looking back I think I just gave all those away when I sold the hardware. Well, practically gave that away bitd as it was around the late 90s and nobody wanted STs back then :/

      If only I'd have kept my disks.... (and my TT/Falcon!!!) :(

      Delete