Thursday, August 22, 2024

I have a question




What's your favourite Pompey Pirates disk?

Lately, I've been plodding through a wedge of my Pompey Pirates disks. Such excellent cracks made me fondly remember the chat/information/banter within the scrollers. They gave me access to games I would never have been able to afford. Right or wrong, a service was provided. Of course, the excitement of the postman delivering the latest Pompey disk was brilliant. Sigh, I miss those days... hence my noSTalgic website!

I enjoy asking stupidly impossible questions [1] and [2]. So, with that pointlessness in mind, what would you say is their best release? For me, disk #095 is my favourite because it features three belting games - Hunter, Lotus II, and Head Over Heels. In terms of the menu, that's another tough choice. It's probably disk #048 because of Syd B's fantastic War Of The Worlds picture. Not only that but it features a superb Mad Max tune. You gotta read the scroller for a surreal tale that is suspiciously accurate for today's absurd world.

That's what I love about awesome crackers like these, their scrollers are an unsuspecting time machine. Righto, what is your favourite Pompey Pirate disk? While you ponder over that, here are some links...

Exxos has access to the entire Pompey archive - https://exxosforum.co.uk/atari/...
Atari Legend - Pompey Pirates disk #048 - https://www.atarilegend.com/PP48...
Atari Legend - Pompey Pirates disk #095 - https://www.atarilegend.com/PP95...
Demozoo - a page dedicated to Pompey Pirates - https://demozoo.org/groups/2228/
Atarimania - Pompey Pirates Mega Muzak Demo - https://www.atarimania.com

8 comments:

  1. I can't answer since I didn't have a ST back in the day (I know outrageous right). I think it's cool how these crack groups become like periodicals where you'd get a catchy tune, a cool pic and the latest news from them. I could only imagine the excitement. The closest we had in North America were disk magazines that included shareware/homemade games, graphics, fonts and utility programs. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this is why I've been going through some disks lately and having a blast. Like a kid! But these are time machines into that late 80s/early 90s era and I love it :) What machine was you using back in the day?
      Ps wondering who you are as you didn't use a name. But thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
    2. Oh sorry, it's me retropuffer. I don't know what I was thinking. :) So you might remember that I was in the enemy Apple camp during the 80s. lol.

      Delete
    3. lol but you came to your sense! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have seen several menues under Hatari, but hard to select the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, there are so many great disks

      Delete
  3. I've had a lot of them, but i can no longer remember which is which or which were good. Hmm Medway Boys, Flames Of Finland, Automation might have been better, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those are great, you might wanna check out Atari Legend too: https://www.atarilegend.com/menusets

      Delete

Some more random ATARI ST articles

Rogue (STe DMA audio)

Like what I do? Hey, do you wanna help support AtariCrypt??