Friday, August 26, 2016

Floyd The Droid


Floyd The Droid is a simple yet hectic shoot 'em up in a style similar to a Robotron clone. It was written in 1986 by Paul Lay, for legend Analog Software and features a few features which I personally thought was rather cool back then. Whacking enemies that fill the screen to a point where little screen real estate is left over and these are some of the silliest sprites too, like robots, spaceships and even a Commodore 64 computer!

Floyd also contains speech which is rather excellent too - especially for a game released so early in the Atari ST's life. You know, I'm actually still impressed today for sentimental reasons! Also, whoever made the title tune is obviously insane - because it's just wrong - yet I find myself loving it. It's absolutely brilliant. :-)

This is Atari[ST] retro gaming goodness at its best. Okay, it's a little rough around the edges but I love playing this frantic shooter with its relentless hoard of invading oddities! Hit that fire-button and try to last as long as you can!!

LINKS

 - Oh go on then, I recorded a short video for your amusement!!
 - I believe there was a hi-res version in the making but I'm unsure if it was ever released?
 - Demozoo has a Floyd The Droid list and Stonish has the download on Serenade #5.
 - AtariMania list in their database Floyd The Droid and also Missing One Droid.
 - Atari 8-bit fans may also wanna click here: Floyd the Droid Goes Blastin'.