Friday, August 19, 2016

What's wrong with this picture?


I've been playing with various GEM desktop expanders and soon realised there are a number of interesting programs out there to nab extra pixels. This often involves interlace, virtual resolutions, and even overscan. As for interlace, I would first advice flipping into 60Hz but it's hardly ever an ideal experience. Virtual resolutions work great and are best on the Atari STe due to the hardware scrolling. However, it was the option of using overscan which sparked my curiosity and this involved removing the lower border. I had some issues on my 16MHz Mega STE (minor flicker during disk accessing) but the standard 8Mhz Atari STe performed perfectly with a stable display (as shown above).

I have bundled all of the programs together into a single download for anyone interested. (BigScreen, DBL2STE, DBL2ST, Remove, MonSTEr, NoBorder, Big-Y). Give 'em all a try and please let me know how you get on... :p