Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Saboteur III - The Egyptian Mission


Saboteur 3 was released in 2012 by Shadow Team for the Atari STe and Falcon. It's an unofficial fan-game which is obviously based upon the 8-bit classics by Durell Software and is programmed in GFA Basic. Quite incredible!

This third mission takes us into Egypt looking for fragments of a key that will unlock a treasure-filled sarcophagus. However, somebody has rigged most rooms with killer spikes and lots of scary creatures are freely on the loose, like mummies, bats, and scorpions. Control is responsive and I'm impressed with the fluency of movement which makes the game very enjoyable. Movements are more or less what you would expect with a few changes - down/fire now makes our ninja hit under the belt without the kicking mechanic. Curiously, falling off ledges will kill you instantly, rather than simply draining you of some replenishing strength. I also failed to see the point of the spikes that pop-up to impale me each and every time - even when I am in mid-jump - which is particularly annoying and not very fair.

The graphics are brilliantly retro in style and follow the original theme quite well with a familiar palette and lots of nicely animated creatures - which you will enjoy kicking to death. The in-game music is by Dma-Sc and is a beautiful example of his extraordinary chiptune talent, however, even I would have liked the option of sound effects.

Yes, Saboteur 3 is far from perfect and I feel hardcore fans will enjoy picking at it, just like I once did. But I regret that now because this is a good game in its own right, even if many expected Saboteur characteristics are missing or strangely altered. Give this a chance, it's a great platformer and I think Clive Townsend might even enjoy playing it.

LINKS

 - Demozoo has the download and I have recorded a video!
 - Here is the official homepage for Saboteur 3 which includes a French manual (use Google Translate!)
 - I've managed to find a map of the Saboteur 3 (sadly I do not know who to credit)
 - Clive Townsend has a website where you can buy Saboteur for your Mac / PC.