Thursday, July 06, 2017

Laurent Kermel

I recently came upon an unreleased shoot 'em up called Bold, by Laurent Kermel. I instantly loved it but then did something most guys don't normally do - I read the documentation!! This listed his website - which still worked - and that also linked through to an Atari ST section which detailed lots of other unfinished games. Just look at these pictures of Slug, Dragoon Twins, Tenesis, and Empire. Wow, impressive STuff I'm sure you will agree? O_o

     

     

So I contacted Laurent to thank him for Bold and another game which I've just nabbed off his website - a Dungeon Master clone called Wiliness 3. I've only just started to playtest this but boy is it a cracker. Laurent is a really nice guy who I enjoyed talking with and I urgently suggest you play Bold and Wiliness 3 today!!

LINKS

 - Take a look at the Atari ST section of his current website along with his superb YouTube video.


- B O L D -


Bold is a fantastic, albeit unfinished, shoot 'em up for the Atari ST/e which is influenced by a number of games. I personally see a cross between Zynaps or R-Type with very fast and frantic gameplay. Every enemy zooms onto the screen like they're on steroids so quick reactions are the order of the day. I love the graphics but it's a shame there's a large part of the screen unused - probably meant for a logo/status panel. Bold isn't controlled using a joystick but instead the mouse and, I admit that the thought of this failed to impress me, but I soon changed my mind after the first game because it's actually the perfect method necessary for sharp manoeuvrability.

Any model of ST is compatible but Bold runs better (and smoother) if you have a Blitter chip. Of course, all Atari STe computers are fine but others may need to shop with exxos to fill that empty socket inside their STFM. Sadly, those really old pre-1987 STs might not even have a socket to fill so I imagine an extra cost?

Although unfinished, this is furiously good fun with precise control via the mouse. Overall, a thrilling shooter!!

LINKS

 - The Bold web page has the download and a nifty walkthrough of each level.
 - I made a video but I hate YouTube so advise you don't watch and instead PLAY the game :-)
 - A cheat code is mentioned in the interview with Laurent within Alive Magazine #09.
 - Chris Swinson, aka Exxos, sells Blitter chips but I've now exhausted my hardware knowledge...


- W I L I N E S S  III -



Laurent also developed a Dungeon Master clone called Wiliness 3 which is shockingly professional and certainly on par with the FTL classic and another favourite of mine, Walls Of Illusion. The RPG experience is amazing with a familiar user interface as we crawl through another creepy dungeon. It's unfinished but 6 levels are playable and I really enjoyed the control system and those eerie sound effects. Wiliness had the potential to be a winner...

LINKS

 - The Wiliness web page has the download and a BUCKET loads of help and information!!
 - Finally, check out Walls Of Illusion and the newly updated Dungeon Master games for the Atari STe.