Sunday, July 23, 2017

Street Fighter II


The ST world constantly amazes me. Just when you think you've seen it all, Street Fighter pops up and slaps you in the face!! Yep, I've never seen this before and no, I don't mean those terrible commercial games because this was developed for the Atari STe by none other than Patrice Mandin, a guy whom I'm grateful to for this Doom engine.

It features two-player support as Chun-Li and its engine makes use of the hardware scrolling, Blitter chip, and DMA for stereo sound effects. As you can see, it's playable but unfinished and will probably remain so, sadly. However, great progress has already been achieved and it sure makes you realise just what the Atari STe is capable of... but now I hate most commercial gaming companies even more for ignoring this amazing computer!

Even unfinished, it technically hammers the original conversions but that wasn't hard, right? I am shocked just how playable it is with smooth action and responsive controls, using both the joystick and keyboard. The source code is available and I'm shocked our community hasn't picked this up in over 20 years. The potential here is huge!!

LINKS

 - The game and source code can be downloaded from Patrice Mandin's website.
 - Along with the animation, I have recorded a video which shows me "fighting" both Chun-Li characters!