Saturday, June 25, 2016

Space Invaders!


Who doesn't love a quick blast of Space Invaders now and then? It doesn't matter how old I get, I'm always transformed back into that 10-year-old kid (and one without any gaming skills - only my age changes!). Well, today I came across Atari ST Review cover disk #11 which contains the imaginatively titled ST Review Invaders, exclusively released for the magazine back in 1993 by Dave Munsie. So let's boot it up and play through a few levels!

First impressions, I love the (almost) traditional look and feel with its added bells and whistles. Now your cannon moves over a rocky landscape to reform the expected aiming style. Also, those pesky aliens no longer shoot in a predictable straight line and their attack wave is nothing like in the arcades. In fact, level two sees them bopping along in a humorous fashion with a Mexican wave following later, which is crazy but it works so well. I really did enjoy myself playing ST Invaders and those nice added touches don't ruin the originality too much. So if you fancy a game with that "just one more go" appeal then this is definitely for you!

LINKS

 - Watch this gameplay video where I display my skills and extreme gaming expertise!
 - Atari ST Review magazine (and cover disks) can be download from the Chillichai archive.
 - AtariMania has ST Review Invaders within their ST database website.