Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Onslaught

Hewson is a name I've always associated with quality ever since I first got to play 3D Seiddab Attack, Technician Ted and the fabulous Pyracurse, all on my ZX Spectrum. Onslaught is programmed by Chris Hinsley, of Custodian fame. It's an understatement to say he's done an incredible job and he even helped to produce the graphics and sounds!

Onslaught is a horizontally scrolling hack and club 'em all with huge explosions lighting up your screen. It's programmed brilliantly with many extra colours and all artwork has such amazing attention to detail. The music is perfectly suited for the medieval theme and is accompanied by meaty samples for the grunts, metallic clangs of swords, and booming bangs! Yes, this is one loud platformer bursting with eye candy carnage.

Unfortunately, it's also darn difficult and has me dying over and over (and over again). In fact, I thought I'd bought another Ghouls 'n Ghosts but, after LOTS of practice, it gets easier. Still needs a trainer, but it's a wonderful game.

This is one of the few games I can still actually remember lifting off the shelf to admire the gorgeous box art. It truly is outstanding and I love the lush colour against the stark contrast of those brutal warriors. It's scary but very cool and perfect illustrates the savage gameplay ahead - if you feel brave enough to open the box?

LINKS

 - Stonish have lots of compact disks w/ Onslaught but I personally recommend FOF #51.
 - AtariMania features the oddly mixed reviews by both ST Format and ST Action.
 - There are more Hewson games featured right here on AtariCrypt along with lots more Atari ST box art too!!