Friday, January 29, 2016

ProFlight


This morning I dug out an old friend from the attic: ProFlight by Nick Brown, HiSoft. Obviously, this works in colour but it's also fully compatible with ST High so let's jump inside my Panavia Tornado and take it for a spin, Maverick style!

Now, I do remember labouring over ProFlight back in the day and today I wondered how my older and wiser(?) brain would cope (don't hold your breath!). Emphasis is certainly on simulated realism so you're out of luck if you thought this was a humble arcade-style combat game. But that doesn't mean it's all work and no play because once you've got over the hefty learning curve, there is an enjoyable and rewarding experience to be had.

Man, this is such a professionally produced product and even the packaging is equally as good with a weighty manual like something from flight school training! ProFlight will run fine on a stock Atari ST but will certainly benefit from faster computers, my own Mega STE did superbly but I'm wondering how a TT would perform!

This is an incredible flight sim for gurus to drool over. Possibly one of the most technical games I've ever played and one which certainly requires the hours put in to learn it. HiSoft are trusting you with their plane - so don't crash!

LINKS

 - I made a little Vine recording to show off ProFlight.
 - 8BitChip has created a version which can be installed to hard drive.
 - For those that require floppy disk images look no further than Old Games Finder.