Monday, January 04, 2016

waka waka waka

As a kid, I was never the biggest Pac-Man fan, so when Pac-Mania came along in 1988 I wasn't exactly eager to play it.

A bit of an odd one this I thought, it seems to play similar to the original yet the little yellow fella can now jump, genius! They also dropped the 2D for a new 3D perspective that looks amazing but I also felt a little robbed by that reduced screen size which was disappointing!

Don't get me wrong, the original STFM game is a great game. However, the play area was too restricting, for me and would often feel like the ghosts could appear from out of thin air. All due to that status panel taking up almost half the screen! Gee, I wonder how the enhanced Atari STe would have handled Pac-Mania?

Well, entering the arena is Samuel (aka Zamuel_A) with his version that is specifically designed to make full use of the enhanced hardware often sitting idle. Gameplay now takes place in overscan, flowing along at 50fps thanks to the hardware scrolling, the Blitter chip handles the sprites and the DMA hardware plays the sound samples with the good ol' YM2149 playing superb chiptunes. It would be an extreme understatement to say this is a slight upgrade over the original. Jaw dropping is one such description I would feel comfortable using!

PacMania has literally been transformed for the 21st century and it's impossible not to be blown away by Samuel's hard work. I personally feel he's taken a good game and made it a million times better by using every ounce of power from within the Atari STe. A fascinating revamp of the arcade favourite and now far more enjoyable than ever before.

LINKS

 - Download link is right here from Atari-Forum!
 - I made a video recording for all those that don't believe how fantastic it is!
 - Here is an older video recording I made.