Thursday, January 21, 2016

VFM!

Video Games 1 was developed by Andrei Ellman of Wacko Software and it's a crazy mix of three classics: Pong, Space Invaders and Pac-Man. But with a cunning twist, all three are simultaneously playable, using the one joystick.

The three games are each legendary titles from the golden era but surely you cannot play more than one game at once?

Well, I found myself concentrating more on Space Invaders and occasionally playing Pac-Man. Scarcely did I bother with Pong, not until I had died in one of the other two games. My brain was fried by this point, yet hooked! Controls are equally crazy : Pong is controlled by holding down the fire button and then moving up/down. Pac-Man is very confusing, at first, and I advise you read the docs that accompany the game. Space Invaders is my favourite and this I feel is the joystick alpha male with the most simplistic controls - left/right moves your ship and (wait for it) pushing up or down will fire your weapon. It all sounds "wacko" but it worked well. Interestingly, you can invert the screen colours by pressing the "I" key which might look ugly but is possibly easier on the eyes? The numeric keypad functions to brighten or darken colours for each game and I pressed "9" a few of times to brighten Space Invaders and then "5" to darken PacMan and this helped me a lot.

I think Andrei was one crazy, mixed-up kid and was obviously having a good laugh when making this and I'm sure everyone will love it. Video Games 1 is nothing to be taken seriously and is ridiculously entertaining!

LINKS

 - Don't miss out and download the game.
 - And don't forget to check out my whacky video!